College of the
Counseling and Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

What are my steps in becoming a College of the Redwoods' student?

Step One - Apply to the College

Your first communication from College of the Redwoods will be sent to your personal email address. All further notifications from CR will be sent to your CR student email address.

Step Two - Check your Student Email

To access your student email address click on this link: My Redwoods email address. You Are Required To Check This Email On A Regular Basis.

Step Three ? Complete the Math and English Placements

You are required to complete the math and English placements to assure you enroll in the correct classes. Information and practice tests are available here: Academic Support Center.

Step Four ? Attend Orientation.

For more information about academic advising and orientation options, please contact the location you plan to attend:

  • Eureka 707.476.4150
  • Del Norte 707.465.2300
  • Mendocino 707.962.2664 (testing) and 962.2605 (counseling)
  • Klamath-Trinity 530.625.4846

If you have attended another college, order your official transcripts as soon as possible, as it can be four weeks or more before we receive them. If you need that coursework to meet prerequisites, contact the location you plan to attend to request that your transcripts be evaluated; evaluation can take up to two weeks.

Step Five ? Register for Classes

Use your WebAdvisor account to access your student information, register for classes, view your financial aid status, and pay your fees.

Step Six ? Activate your CR Access Card

After you register for classes, you will receive a CR Access Card in the mail. DO NOT THROW THIS CARD AWAY; it is not a credit card. You must use this card to activate your choice of how you want to receive financial aid and other refunds that you may be eligible to receive from CR.

We encourage all students to apply for financial aid and utilize student support services. Visit the website for more information: Student Services

I tried to register for a class that I have already taken but did not pass and the prompt reads ?Too Many Attempts. Must contact Admissions and Records.?
In order to register for the course you must register in person through Admissions and Records.

I have transcripts from another college. How do I get them evaluated?
Go to the Admissions page under the tab "Get Help" click on "Transcript Services" click in the green box to complete the form to request an evaluation of your "other college" transcripts. Call the Advising Center at 707.476-4150 for further questions.

I cannot register for a particular class. The prompt reads, ?Pre-requisites not met.?
This prompt usually means you have not met the pre-requisite for a course you are trying to register for. If you feel you have received this prompt in error, please call the Counseling & Advising Center at 707.476-4150 or email us at: counseling@redwoods.edu?

I have taken the pre-requisite at another college. How do I register for the class?
Your transcript(s) from the other institution(s) must be evaluated by a counselor or an advisor for that specific pre-requisite before you sign up for the course.

I want to come back to school after one or more semesters off. What is my first step?
You must reapply to the College if you have taken one or more semesters off.

I am dissatisfied with my math and/or English placement score. How do I go about re-taking the exam and improving my placement?
You can only retake the English placement exam ONCE in a semester. If you have already started the English sequence you may not re-assess for English. You may retake the math placement TWICE a semester in the Academic Support Center AND you can reassess even if you have started the math sequence. If you feel that your placement is not appropriate to your skill level, PLEASE SPEAK WITH AN ACADEMIC ADVISOR IMMEDIATELY. We highly encourage you take the practice exams prior to taking the actual assessments. The practice tests are located under the "Quick Links" box from the homepage under "Academic Support Center."

What does ?Academic Dismissal? mean?
Academic Dismissal means you have completed three or more semesters with less than a 2.0 grade point average. If you are on Academic Dismissal, you will need to fill out an ?Appeal For Reinstatement to Probationary Status? which can be accessed at: http://www.redwoods.edu/Admissions/

Does CR accept placement scores from universities private colleges and/or out of state schools?
No. Only placement exams taken at California Community Colleges and Humboldt State University will be accepted.

Does CR need a copy of my high school transcripts?
No. Only official transcripts from other colleges/universities will be needed.

Does CR need a copy of my SAT/ACT scores?
No. We do not need them nor do we use them in any way.

I have taken Advanced Placement Exams in high school. Can I use those exam results for college credit?
Yes. Please see an Academic Advisor to do so.

Does CR accept EAP scores?

Yes! Your EAP scores are automaticaly imported into our database if you passed. If you passed the EAP, you are eligible for:

  • English 1A AND
  • Math 5, 15, 25, 30

If for some reason, you cannot reigster for the courses above and you think you passed the EAP, please contact Jennifer Bailey at 707.476.4267.

I only want to take one class. Do I have to send my official transcripts?
No. Although, if you would like to sign up for a class with a pre-requisite, an advisor will need a copy of your transcripts in order to verify you have completed the pre requisite with a passing grade which is a C or better.

What is the difference between a CSU and UC?
California State University system (CSU) is the system of higher education in California that grants most bachelor degrees. It is sometimes referred to as the ?teaching training? institution. The CSU also grants master degrees. The University Of California (UC) is the research system of public higher education in California. The UC grants professional and doctorate degrees, as well as bachelors and masters degrees. The CSU has more practical, career-oriented approach to education in contrast to more theoretical approach offered by the UC.

What CR courses transfer?
Any course numbered between 1 through 99 (History 8, Psychology 33, Math 5, Spanish 99, etc?) are transferable to the CSU system. However, you must refer to the CR college catalog to see which classes are transferable to the UC system.

Do I need to complete 60 transferable units in order to transfer?
Generally speaking, the answer is yes. Transferring to a university as an upper division transfer student (entering the university as a junior) is generally the best path and the most cost effective method. For those colleges that do consider lower division transfer students, only students who were eligible to enter the university out of high school (and are in good standings at his/her current institution) will be admitted, and such applicants are a low priority in the admission process. Priority will be given upper division transfer students rather than first time freshmen or those students who have NOT completed the 60 transferable units.

What courses do I need to complete before I can transfer at a junior level status?
You need to complete at least a minimum of 60 units minimum for admission to a university. You should become familiar with the admission requirements of the UC and CSU systems, and for any private colleges being considered. It is important to meet with a counselor or an advisor to determine the best general education pattern to follow. A great place to begin researching lower divison prep for your chosen major is at www.assist.org. Additionally, contact the university (and program) for specific requirements.

How long will it take me to transfer?
The time it takes to transfer depends on the number of units completed each term, the level at which you start math and English courses, the admission requirements of the transfer institution and the desired major. Students who can attend full-time (12 or more units per semester), take summer and/or winter session courses, and who place directly into transfer level math and English classes can generally transfer after two years. Most students take longer than two years to meet all of the transfer, general education, and major preparation requirements.

Can I complete my transfer requirements at CR?
Yes. CR offers a variety of courses to complete general education patterns such as IGETC (Intersegment General Education Transfer Curriculum) which is the preferred GE pattern for those transferring to UC campuses for most majors, and the CSU (California State University) general education pattern. We also offer course that provide preparation for majors at UC, CSU and private colleges ? see www.assist.org for major articulation between CR and UC/CSU colleges.

I have attended another college/university. Do these courses transfer to CR?
Degree applicable courses taken at other regionally accredited colleges will be considered for general education, major coursework, or elective credit toward CR degrees. For students planning on an eventual transfer from CR to a university, the important issue is to determine if the desired transfer university will accept the non-CR units. Contacting the university you plan to attend is important.

Will I need my high school grades and SAT/ACT scores to transfer?
If you are transferring as a junior, with 60 transferable units, your high school grades, and any college admission tests scores you may have will not be needed. If you are attempting to transfer to a private college or as a lower division transfer (with fewer than 60 transferable units), your high school record and SAT/ACT test scores will likely be required.