College of the
International Students

College of the Redwoods
International Student Program

New Student Information



Residence Halls:

College of the Redwoods is one of the few California Community Colleges that offers on-campus housing. The Residence Halls, located on the Eureka campus, accommodates a community of 160 students with diverse backgrounds and educational goals. The community is comprised of students from all over the country and the world. The Residence Halls become a small community where you can relax and be yourself. The community includes staff who are here to help you navigate the college resources and help make your stay within the halls as positive as possible. In addition, residents have evening access to the gym, on site laundry facilities, computer lab, free internet connection, free admission to CR events, and a 5-minute walk to classes. For more information concerning the Residence Halls and to download an application please visit www.redwoods.edu/eureka/Housing.

If you plan to stay in the Residence Halls we strongly urge you to apply early as space is limited and fills quickly.

Local Apartments:

You may also choose to live in a local apartment complex.The online Times-Standard has classifieds where you can search for housing, including apartments and "rooms for rent." Look under "Rentals". You can also find information on housing at www.humguide.com or at Humboldt State University (HSU) Housing Information website.

Temporary Housing:

Below are links to lists of short-term accomodations (hotels/motels) to use until you find a permanent place to live.

Crescent City
Fort Bragg


College of the Redwoods does not require International Students to have health insurance. However, we do strongly encourage our international students to purchase a health insurance policy for protection against the high cost of medical services in the United States. A plan is available for purchase by our students. You can access an online brochure at Somerton Student Insurance Services.

A Health Service fee is manadatory for all students. When you register for classes at the Eureka campus you will automatically be billed a "Health Service Fee" of $19.00 per semester. This fee gives students access to Student Health Services where a registered nurse is available to treat students with minor illnesses on campus.

Travel & Transportation

Arriving by air
Eureka/Arcata Airport is the closest airport to College of the Redwoods. Airport shuttle service for the Eureka/Arcata Airport is available by Door to Door Airporter. Sacramento International Airport, Oakland International Airport and San Francisco International Airport are approximately a 5 to 6 hour drive to Eureka.

Ground Transportation
The Eureka local bus company, Humboldt Transit Authority (HTA) has bus lines that go directly to the College of the Redwoods' Eureka Campus. Please check HTA for routes, schedules, and fares.

Local Area Information

Welcome to the tallest trees in the world, the California Redwood forest! There are opportunites to do a variety of outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking or going to the beach. You can attend cultural events, go out on the town, visit the numerous rivers and lakes, sight see or just breathe the clean fresh air.

Here are some ideas on things to see and do in the area in your free time, on the weekends, or if you have visitors.

Internet Resources to the Northern Redwood Coast Area: (Eureka & Del Norte Campuses)